In this advanced digital era that we live in, it has caused data breaches to become more common. As technology advances and people become smarter to hack other people’s online information/ computers, it has just recently created the largest and most severe data breaches to be seen. Below are just some of the largest breaches within the past few years.
- “In 2019, First American Financial Corp. had 885 million records exposed online, including bank transactions, social security numbers, and more.”
- “In 2019, Facebook had 540 million user records exposed on the Amazon cloud server.”
- “In 2018, a Marriot International data breach affected roughly 500 million guests.”
- “In 2017, data of almost 200 million voters leaked online from Deep Root Analytics.”
- “In 2016, the AdultFriendFinder network was hacked, exposing 412 million users’ private data.”
- “Yahoo holds the record for the largest data breach of all time, with 3 billion compromised accounts.”
As data has proven, it is extremely crucial to learn and implement cyber security best practices. Bringing in an MSP/ cyber security expert into your business will help prevent a data breach from happening. Big or small breaches will both have a major impact on a business process as well as finances, sales, customer service, and reputation. The above list of major breaches within the past couple years are only a small portion of the many large ones that are not mentioned. The list goes on and on.